It’s World Chocolate Day!
Calling all chocolate fans! Today is World Chocolate Day or sometimes referred to as International Chocolate Day. It is THE day to indulge in your favourite chocolate!
Today is a global celebration of the sweet, bitter, milky, smooth yumminess that you’ll find in some of our cakes and desserts at Gather but also on the menu at our weddings at GG’s Yard.
So why celebrate on the 7th July? Well it is supposedly because that is the date in which chocolate was first introduced to Europe way back in 1550!
If you visit Gather today for lunch, you’ll be able to enjoy our delicious Chocolate Tart which will be on the specials menu served with black cherries, cherry syrup and vanilla ice cream. If you can’t join us at Gather but want to give it a go yourself, below is the recipe which teaches you how to make the pastry from scratch and a chocolate filling using cream and both milk and dark chocolate. The chocolate tart is often chosen by our brides and grooms to have for their dessert at their wedding reception. (For more wedding food inspo, click here)
If you’re like us and love chocolate (or to put it simply, are chocaholics!), this recipe will hit the spot.
Not too rich and the perfect portion, our Chocolate Tart is the perfect recipe to celebrate World Chocolate Day.
Chocolate tart recipe
for the pastry
125g Plain flour
3 tbsp Caster Sugar
¼ tsp salt
2 tbsp Cold water
- Preheat your oven to 175 degrees
- Sieve flour, salt and sugar into a bowl and mix with the butter until it forms breadcrumbs
- Make a well and add the egg yolk into the middle along with the water (reserve the egg white for later). Mix until it makes a smooth dough. Refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Roll the dough until ¼ inch thick and using the rolling pin lay it over a tart tin. Fit the pastry snuggly into the tin a roll the rolling pin over the top to cut off any excess
- Cut a piece of greaseproof paper to slightly larger than the tart tin and scrunch this up until quite creased
- Put this on top of the pastry and fill it with baking beads. If you don’t have these you can use a dry ingredient like lentils or rice
- Blind bake the tart for 30 minutes
- Removes the grease proof paper and baking beads and brush the pastry with the beaten egg white
for the chocolate tart filling
400g double cream
300g Milk chocolate
300g dark chocolate
50ml Kirsch or Cointreau
- Heat the cream and milk over a medium heat in a saucepan until just simmering
- Pour this over the chocolate and gently stir it through until the chocolate is melted the mix is totally combined
- Whisk the eggs and then add them to the mix ensuring they are fully incorporated
- Stir through your choice of alcohol and then pour the mixture into the prepared tart case then bake for 20-30 minutes until the middle is set
- Allow to cool before serving
For those who aren’t able to join us at Gather today to enjoy the chocolate tart, fear not, we always have delicious desserts on offer and a great selection of cakes. You’ll be able to indulge in another of our chocolatey dishes soon!
You can book your table at Gather here.